08 August 2011

Reader Under the Spotlight - Roanne

So this week I would like to introduce Ro, she describes herself as a minimalist, reader, cook, songwriter, exercise fanatic, but may be not all at the same time?

1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?

My first actual Filofax was purchased in ... early 2005, I think. It was a Personal in Lizard.

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

I used a Franklin Covey for almost a decade. I think Moleskin is my choice if my current Filofax dies. My first pseudo-Filofax was something from a Walden'sl bookstore; it was close in size to a personal Filofax, and obviously meant to copy one, but cheaply done. My very first planner/agenda ever was one by Virginia Slims cigarettes. My mom was a smoker and I wanted the planner badly, so she switched to Virginia Slims long enough to get me the proof-of-purchases I needed to get my free planner from them. My only electronic pda was the Handspring Visor Edge, which I wanted to like, and actually did like, but I prefer the immediacy of writing over typing.

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

I only own one, and it is my beloved vintage Personal sized Filofax in Ostrich. It is used and abused and probably only beautiful to me, but I adore it.

4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?

I know this qualifies me as a bit of a freak around here, but really just the one. I had two others (the Lizard, plus a personal sized Topaz), but since I only use one at a time, the minimalist in me drove me to find new homes for the other two.

5. What do you use your Filofax for?

Pretty much everything. Date book, to-do list, address book, password keeper, lists of all sorts. I've just started keeping my shopping list and menu planning in there. I want everything all in one place.

6. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

So many luxe models to choose from! I like the actual size of the Personal, too ... not too big and not to small. Plus, it is the granddaddy of all planners, and to me, the marquee name in agendas. I've always coveted one but never thought that I'd own one ... and then I did!

7. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

The paper quality of the inserts leaves a bit to be desired. Double pen loops on every binder, at least from Personal sized and up. And pen loops that accommodate many more pens than the Filofax's I've experienced deign to accommodate. The pen conundrum has been rather maddening for me. If/when I ever move away from Filofax, this will be a main factor in the decision

8. How do you carry your Filofax?

I carry it in hand or in my bag, depending on where I am or what I'm doing. If I'm out and about, it is in my handbag ... I carry large bags, so they can accommodate the Filo easily.

9. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

I love the Malden, personal, on Ochre. But buying? No.

10. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?

I bought the personal Lizard when they were having a sale, spending just over $300 USD for it. It was gorgeous and worth every penny.

11. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

I didn't know there were other people out there as geeked about Filofaxes as I am. And there are a whole lot of us, and we all LOVE to yap about Filofaxes. Who knew?

12. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

You people are terrific enablers. I have to fight the urge to shop every single day. But that is my problem, not yours. Heh.

13. What was the last music album CD you bought or downloaded?

Lady Gaga's Born This Way.

Thank you Ro for agreeing to go under the spotlight and if anyone else would like to take part in this series please get in touch with Philofaxy

12 comments:

  1. It was lovely to read about you! :-) So does that mean your job is a songwriter? Im so nosey hehe :-)

    The osterich is lovely tho :-D you just need the Mulberry Bayswater in osterich to match ;-) hehe xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ro - great post thanks! I am so jealous of people who are minimalist and have the strength of character to stick to it and not buy more! I aspire to being minimalist and am trying hard to move in that direction, but the habits of a lifetime are hard to break. However - the pleasures of owning a lot less and simplifying everything are a powerful benefit!

    So don't apologise for owning only one filofax! If we only bought one of everything we could afford the very best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ro, lovely to hear more about you! I know what you mean about all the lovely enablers. I got an A4 for the space, but two is absolutely it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great to formally meet you! that is awesome that you can be satisfied with only 1. i wish i could be like that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you are so loyal to your Filofax :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Roanne,

    sorry for commenting so late, and thank you for your great interview.

    I (mostly) agree on having only one planner. I'm more or less a 'one life - one planner' guy. But I have to admit, that I bought a second one lately. Just because it's so cute, and I can use it as a travel purse.

    But generally I stick to my one and only Personal! And so you won't hear me saying that you need any more Filofaxes... ;-)

    Kind regards, Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Roanne! You wouldn't have any pictures of the inside of you Filofax, would you? I'd loooove to see those ...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the fun comments! I felt a bit sheepish, as you could no doubt tell, but am so glad I did it anyway.

    Jotje, will do a couple soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so ridiculously late in reading this post but just wanted to say what a great post. And Ro will you send me some of your willpower? I am impressed. ONE filofax........ I used to be like that........ before the evils of Philofaxy!

    Would love to see more of your personal filofax in another post or is that too much to ask? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ps- that ostrich is BEAUTIFUL. I would get rid of all of mine too if I had one that I loved like that and that aged so beautifully. well, maybe half of them. heh heh

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for sharing! it's a real treat to see how much you use and love that classic ostrich filofax =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is something so beautiful about the one and only filofax. I loved the woman in the recent New York Times article on paper calendars who still carries the same filofax she bought in the 1980s in London. It has lost it's snap closure and is otherwise worn, but she still uses it.

    ReplyDelete