15 April 2016

Free For All Friday No. 387 by Anita

Since getting my first Filofax back in 2009, I've always copied down quotes or sayings that I like or find inspiring. At one time, I found that I had written so many that I realised that I wouldn't actually get round to looking at them again. Nowadays, I focus on a smaller number and have them in place where I will see them each time I open my binder:
  • 'Want to know the secret to getting sh*t done? Get your sh*t done. No excuses. Not tomorrow. Today. And everyday' - Leonie Dawson
  • 'Just get started' - Timothy Pychyl
  • 'One does not need the size of a dragon to have the soul of a dragon' - Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb
  • 1) Clarify successful outcome 2) What's the very next action? 3) Put reminders in a system you trust - Getting Things Done
  • 'Find what feels good' - Yoga with Adriene
  • 'Don't hassle yourself' - Hiroshi Ikeda Sensei
  • 'Does this possession either add value/serve a purpose or does it bring me joy?' - the Minimalists
  • If in doubt, get outside!
  • Zero spend on planners/binders until 12th March 2017 - a reminder for myself
  • 'Should Would Could DID!'- not sure where I first saw this
  • 'Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird' - Bird by Bird: Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott. 
What favourite quotes do you keep in your binders?

And as always as it's a Friday, please feel free to discuss anything organiser related. Have a great weekend. 

11 comments:

  1. This is what I have on my dashboard: It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a postcard (in lemon yellow ;-) in front:
    When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

    But I'm thinking of changing to:
    "If people are trying to bring you down, it only means that you're above them"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dashboard is a cannibalized greetings card which says "Chin up, buttercup - all will be well." Good to look at first thing in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have so many quotes and affirmations, that I have a whole section devoted to them. One page is full of affirmations on sticky flags that I can move around through the planner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is: "Man plans, God laughs."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 'Where your focus goes,your energy flows' and 'It only takes doing one small thing consistently to bring an amazing amount if change' both Doug Addison.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a bunch I printed onto cardstock and cut out to approximately 3" x 2". I switch them around and clip them to the front divider as the mood takes me. The current one says "H.O.P.E. Hold on pain ends."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Franklin Covey people like myself take the hint from company founder Hyrum W. Smith and collect quotes. Some in my FC Classic planner (and yes, I have a whole section dedicated to quotes. Smith would be proud):

    "Technology and tools are useful and powerful when they are your servant and not your master"--Steven Covey

    "Working together, the Day Planner, the Satellite and the Storage Binder will help you achieve greater control of your life"--FC propaganda

    "A goal is a planned conflict with the status quo"--Hyrum W. Smith

    "The road to happiness is dreaming dreams; the road to success is making those dreams come true"--Amway propaganda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey ƒILOFOLKS:

    I just bought an A5 Malden. Question is, is it OK to use non-ƒILOFAX inserts in it, or do people look down on such shenanigans? Is there insert etiquette? (I've used non-Franklin Covey inserts in my FC binder from time to time, and nobody's called me out on it yet)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Creamy Wibbibs, congratulations on your new Malden. I don't think it matters which brand inserts you use, as long as it works for you. It's your binder, your sacred space. If you want strict brand adherence, go for it. If you want every page to be a different size or color, go for it. The only "rule" is that it works for you.
      Enjoy.

      Delete
  10. 'One does not need the size of a dragon to have the soul of a dragon' - Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb

    Love this. Will copy it into my planner too

    ReplyDelete