07 October 2016

Free For All Friday No 412 by Laurie


In a previous post I mentioned my "on-deck" binder. I thought I had posted details about it before but apparently I haven't, so here they are!

There's actually not all that much to say about it. My "on-deck" binder holds pages, mainly diary pages, before they go into my daily-use binder. For those of you unfamiliar, "on-deck" is a baseball reference meaning the next player up to bat. They are not the one currently batting, they are next. So my on-deck binder has pages that are waiting to be used next.

The diary pages in my on-deck binder have some things written into them, like birthdays and holidays. I usually wait to write particulars on these pages until they are moved into my daily-use binders, in case things change (which they often do). I keep monthly pages for at least the upcoming 18 months in my daily-use binder to make forward plans. 

My on-deck binder is my black A5 Boston Filofax, and my daily-use binder is my purple A5 Boston Filofax.

Do you use an on-deck binder?

And as always on Fridays, feel free to discuss and/ or ask anything ring-binder related!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Laurie - this is really interesting. I'm a clergyman, so often have to plan a long way ahead. As soon as the next year's diary becomes available, I buy it and set it up in another binder. This means that I can work from my main Filofax (Personal ochre Malden) and start to book services/appointments in next year's diary in my second binder (I alternate between my new Personal Heritage and my faithful old Personal Kensington). I've never known what to call the second binder but I do now! Thanks again, Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott thank you for sharing this, I loved reading about your fully set up next year's planner!

    So when the new year comes, do you move the pages into your Malden? Or do you use the other binder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I transfer to the Malden. It's become something of a faithful friend :-)

      Delete
  3. Hello! Does anyone know of a diary refill with paper bigger than normal pocket size that would fit in a pocket Filofax binder? Like Moleskine pocket size for example?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Moleskine diary can be carefully unstitched and cut into single sheets and punched for use in a Pocket Filofax. I included a photo in my review of the new Lockwood last week. It works best in the larger pocket models as it was a tight fit in the Slim Pocket.

      Delete
  4. In my A5 I use the Day Runner 2-page-per-day with monthly tabs. I only use 3 months at a time (currently Sep/Oct/Nov) in the A5 planner, without the monthly tabs. All the other pages are filed/stored in an Avery 2-inch, 5.5" X8.5" binder behind their respective monthly tabs along with mementos such as invitations, etc. It works great for me because I know it's either in the A5 or in the "on-deck" f/k/a the storage binder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that you don't use the monthly tabs for the months in your main planner. Do you find it hard to switch between pages without?

      Which Day Runner inserts do you use? Day-Timer and Day Runner have both drastically reduced their insert selection in recent years, so I'm curious what you are using.

      Delete
    2. I use the Day Runner 481-225. For the past couple of years I have ordered them from Amazon.

      Actually having the tabs on the "on deck" storage binder makes swapping out pages super easy. For example, on Nov 1 I will pull the Sep pages out of my planner and file them behind the appropriate tab in the on deck storage binder. Then I will pull the Dec pages from the on deck storage binder and put them in the active planner.

      Delete